Friday, December 21, 2012

Vittles





Have I said lately how much I love ScoutMob?  In the past year it has allowed my family and I to explore some really good ATL restaurants, many I would not of tried otherwise.  Trust me, 50% off  can make your cheap self drive across town and today was no exception.  We paid a long over due visit to what should be a Cobb County institution- Vittles Restaurant.

Surprisingly when my hubby and I lived in Smyrna, we never noticed this 30 year old restaurant tucked away on South Cobb Drive between, a tattoo parlor and a mattress store.  The owner explained that due to county ordinances, she wasn't able to get a street sign due to the close proximity of the tattoo parlor sign and the mattress store sign.  But the regulars don't need a sign, they know just where this little gem is and they come in droves everyday.

Vittles has been referred to as  a Cracker Barrel knockoff with all the kitschy clutter, signs with funny sayings, elephant statues, ladybug lamps, purses and greeting cards (all for sale) surround the dining room.  Not to mention there is a smoking side and a non-smoking side.  Space is tight but the atmosphere is genuine and the food is down home.  Waitresses flit from table to table recognizing regulars and welcoming newcomers, with  "baby" or "sweetheart".

The menu is purely Southern, think meat and two, breakfast all day (at least on Fridays) and endless pours of sweet tea.  I ordered the lunch special, your choice of meat, 2 vegetables and your choice of biscuit, cornbread or Texas toast for $5.79.  I chose fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, fried green tomatoes and cornbread.  First let me say the portions are phenomenal  especially for the price.  I was told by the waitress it would be about 15 minutes for my meal because the chicken is fried to order.   It arrived hot, crispy and juicy.  I would of liked a saltier crust but other than that it was fried to perfection.  The mac and cheese was good but not spectacular - firm elbows coated in a nice cheesy sauce.  The fried green tomatoes were good, coated in a crisp batter.  I would of again appreciated a saltier crust but they were firm and not greasy, a feat few have mastered.  And the corn bread was a moist tower of southern, buttery goodness. 

Perhaps what impressed me most was as we were leaving and paying our bill,  the owner told us how many seniors patronize her spot daily and how she refuses to scrimp on food quality or raise her insanely low prices.  Indeed she told us that she feels its her purpose to serve these often over looked members of society.  And luckily she allows the rest us along for the ride.

No comments: