Friday, October 14, 2011

Jagger's Pizza


I was lured here by devotees of this restaurant which briefly closed and is now reopened in the Sage Hills shopping center in the Emory/Briarcliff area of Atlanta.  Boasting Atlanta style pizza, my curiousity and hunger got the best of me.

First let me say, Jagger's is literally a hole in the wall.  There's a counter, a few tables and chairs and a flat screen TV perched atop a refrigerator loaded with soft drinks.  But as we all know some of the best food can be found in joints like this. However, it gave me great pause to be greeted by gentleman who looked as if he had rolled himself in the flour they use to make the pizza, highlighted by the fact he was wearing a black shirt.  Ok, I thought these guys must really love what they do to the point of becoming one with their product.

On to the pizza.  So Atlanta style must be square, deep dish, cheesy and well, a tad greasy.  I had a small, pepperoni and mushroom pizza, the toppings hidden under a mountain of cheese.  Really I tasted nothing but the cheese and I suppose if you like cheese that's a good thing but for me I like to taste it all- the toppings, a tangy tomato sauce and cheese as an accent atop a nice crispy crust.  Now the crust wasn't bad it was thick, garlicky and absorbed the grease pretty well (ha, ha) but over all I'd have to rate this average pizza at best and not meriting a return visit anytime soon.

P.S. In case you're wondering what my favorite pizza is, it's a tie between Mellow Mushroom's Mega Veggie and Domino's Pacific Vegetable, with Domino's in the lead solely due to their fabulous pizza tracker, which let's neurotic people like me check on their pizzas all during the process- from prep to delivery.


No comments: