Saturday, August 21, 2010

New Thai in McDonough


Yay, yay and yay!  I found a decent Thai restaurant open for lunch on Saturdays south of the city.  Red Orchid Thai Cuisine is the answer to my fervent prayers.  Located off of I-75S at exit 216, Red Orchid is a tasty oasis in an otherwise desolate industrial area.  Hence my fears that their location may end up an albatross about their necks.  But any problems in paradise will have nothing to do with the food.  I started my meal with a tasty thai iced tea which so makes me think of a milk shake.  Milk and iced thai tea meld together to make a lovely respite from the summer heat.  Basil rolls stuffed with fresh bean sprouts, basil, cilantro, chicken and shrimp were fresh and deeply satisfying served alongside a tangy plum sauce.  The grand finale was a huge plate of Pad Thai.  Rich sauce, noodles, a squeeze of lime, the crunch of ground peanuts and fresh bean sprouts made this quintessential dish sing.  I jazzed it up with some thai chili sauce brought at my request from the kitchen.  With daily specials and the option of brown rice served alongside the non noodle entrees, plus a menu packed with traditional favorites alongside some new twists, this place merits another visit and soon.  They also offer several beer and wine selections.  If you live near the McDonough/Griffin area and love Thai food this place is a must try.


Red Orchid Thai Cuisine on Urbanspoon







No comments: