Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Grandma's Magic Pork Roast

This post is dedicated to my Grandmother, Bernice Mizell Peek (December 21, 1920-February13, 2013)  After suffering a heart attack in January 2013, she spent the next month shuffling between hospitals and finally hospice.  It was during this time my family and I shared memories and laughs about our wonderfully frank, nurturing Grandmother.

A common theme was her love of cooking with each of us remembering a special meal or dish that she prepared.  She always opted for the freshest ingredients, weekly grocery shopping was unheard of.  She "went to market" everyday!  Savory collards, incredible tasting neck bones and rice, homemade cornbread, fried fish, grits, country fried steak, all hallmarks of her take on southern cooking.

I remember my Mother telling me about this pork roast my Grandmother made on the stove top, with nothing but sliced onions and garlic.  She added no liquid and instead by cooking low and slow, allowed the meat to cook in it's own juices, yielding a delicious, fork tender roast.  It's been years since I first tested this recipe, just to prove to myself it could be done and it's still as good now as it was then.  I love making this on a slow Sunday, just hanging around the house.  I did so this past Sunday, fondly thinking about my Grandmother and how she infused "magic" into every meal.


Grandma's Magic Pork Roast

1 3-4lb Pork Butt
1 Large Sweet Onion, sliced
6 Cloves of Garlic, smashed

In a large dutch oven, prepare pan by coating with non-stick spray.  Add sliced onions and garlic and arrange evenly on the bottom of the pot.  Season pork roast with your favorite seasonings, I used Lawry's seasoning salt and black pepper.  Place roast on top of onions and garlic and cover with pot lid.  Cook on low-medium low heat for approximately 3 hours.  Cooking times will vary according to cooking source.  Roast is done when it is fork tender. 







No comments: