Friday, February 08, 2013

Italian Sausage Subs

These are simple and so delish.  You need some good quality Italian sausages, any flavor, but I used the hot and these came from Publix.  They make their own Italian sausages in house and they are always perfect.  I sliced up some green and red peppers and sweet onions (I used Vidalias) and scattered them on a cookie sheet around the sausages and drizzled everything with olive oil.  Although next time, I think I'll start roasting the sausages first and then add the veggies during the last 15 minutes of cooking since they roast up extra fast and you have to remove them in the middle of roasting if you start them together.  Alternatively you could saute them with some olive oil but I love the way roasting caramelizes the vegetables.  The flavor is amazing!


While roasting the sausages and veggies at 375 degrees, prepare the bread and marinara sauce.  I used hoagie rolls which I split and lightly toasted.  The marinara sauce just needs a quick heat up. I added a splash of red wine, a pinch of red pepper flakes and a little sugar. 



When everything is done, assemble the sandwiches by adding the sausage to the roll, topping with the peppers and onions, I also added some pickled cherry peppers and topped everything with the marinara sauce and mozerella cheese.  5 minutes under the broiler and this is what you get.  Definitely a keeper.

No comments: