Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Salad Additions from Lean Cuisine


Have you noticed the new Lean Cuisine Salad Additions in your grocer's frozen section?  I did and armed with a coupon for a dollar off, I scooped one up this past weekend.  Today I sat down to a fresh and tasty salad.  There are 4 versions, Asian, Bistro, Cranberry and Southwest.  Each kit comes with grilled white meat chicken, various accoutrements and a dressing packet.  All you need to do is add your own lettuce.

I tried the Southwest-Style Chicken Salad.  The first step is to thaw the dressing packet in room temperature water.  I set aside the tortilla strips and then microwaved a package of grilled white meat chicken, roasted peppers, black beans and corn for 2 1/2 minutes.  I let it sit an additional 1 minute as I arranged a lettuce mix of iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and red cabbage in a waiting bowl.  Carefully removing and then opening the chicken package, I spread it out over the salad greens, topped it with the dressing from the dressing packet and sprinkled the tortilla strips over the top.

Verdict?  Surprisingly fresh and very, very good.  The chicken was even better than the chicken I had not too long ago in the Taco Bell  Cantina Bowl, which I enjoyed also except for the pressed chicken which lacked taste, texture and freshness.  I especially enjoyed the creamy chipolte ranch dressing which rivals the best of them.  The sweet heat was just enough to keep things interesting.  The veggies were fresh and crisp and the tortilla chips provided a nice crunch.

I definitely will be trying other varieties with a leaning towards the Asian Style Chicken Salad which included, pineapple, broccoli and yellow and orange carrots with sesame ginger vinaigrette and crispy noodles.  It's nice to have options and Lean Cuisine has given you 4 more.


No comments: