Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Social Media Train Wreck


As someone who runs a rather successful Facebook and Twitter account for a local restaurant, I can't but comment on the story I found in the local news about a restaurant owner, blasting a customer over a negative review on Yelp!

First of all I read the review and honestly it was not a bad review.  In fact,  the customer earnestly tried to find positive aspects of her overall experience several times.  I troll the review sites such as Urban Spoon and Yelp and I have found several not so stellar reviews for my restaurant but on the flip slide there are also a lot of good reviews, which I found to be the case for the restaurant in question here.

What is troubling is the restaurant owner's response to the review and I quote "If you see this woman in your restaurant, tell her to go outside and (expletive) herself. Yelp that, (expletive)."  I mean geez that's a little harsh for criticism over your watery baked beans isn't it?  I would of thought an intelligent, responsible and conscientious  business owner would of taken note of the criticisms and analyzed if (a) they were legitimate concerns and (b) if so, the action or actions that could be taken to improve upon the service, food, etc.   At least that's what we do but then we have been in business for over 50 years and experience is one hell of a teacher.

I mean the cornerstone of social media is free expression right?  I don't have to like what you say but I should be respectful of your right to say it and not attack you for it.

Of course this could boil down to the caveats of ScoutMob since the media is reporting that this customer used a ScoutMob deal during her visit.  All you restaurant owners out there repeat after me: " Don't offer a ScoutMob deal if you're going to resent your customers for using it!!"  Take it or leave it but please don't lambast those of us who choose to take advantage of it either!

Ok so, that's my 2 cents on the situation and remember you can agree or disagree that's the beauty of this great country we live in, just don't hate on me cause I choose to express myself.

No comments: